Hi! Just want your thoughts on the following: 1. Extreme pain brought me to a dentist. In viewing the X-ray, it appears as if a piece of tooth #18 (with roots) was left below the gum during the extraction. which was done years ago (around 2003). 2. In addition, tooth #19 is extremely sensitive to colds fluids and air (dentist blew air on it). The nerve pain was quite unbeearable. This was done a few ays ago. Since then the pain has gotten better in this tooth, almost to the point where I can now apply a bi more pressure on it. I do still feel a slight dull throbbing pain which is way better than the acute pain a few days ago. NOTE: I have been on Ibuprofen 800 mg and Clindamycin for the past 9 days. 3. There are two conflicting thoughts to approach this situation: An oral surgeion is suggesting to get a root canal on #19 as this appears to be the source of the pain. He is also suggesting leaving #18 allone as the gums around it looks healthy. His thought is if it's been there under the gum for almost 13 years and it hasn't bothered me, t hen why remove it? 4. A general dentist is saying "take it out - it shouldn't be there period." Then if I am still having pain, do the root canal on #19. His opinion differs from another general dentist I initially went to who is suggesting getting the root canal on #19. 5. I am not sure what to do. I would prefer to deal with the one tht is causing the pain and discomfort now (#19), and leave #18 for a later time if it causes any issues later. NOTE that no one is 100% certain if #18 is contributing to the pain. I was thinking about taking a wait-and-see approach since it never caused any problems. I am hoping that I never have to remove it. Thoughts????

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - August - 2016, at 22:38 PM

• From your symptoms it looks like that #19 is causing you the problem. Get the root canal treatment for the #19 tooth. Ideally the other dentist is also right in suggesting that to go for the extraction of #18 root stumps but present problem is not because of rhe broken roots. For more info on root canal therapy you can visit the following link....

http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation