I am a 20 year old male. I have swelling below my right ear around the jaw joint. I am wondering if this is a case of early TMJ, a swollen jaw muscle, or a serious infection. I can feel a bump or slight swelling on the right side of my jaw. It does not hurt with a closed or open mouth, but does cause some irritation when I apply pressure onto the area. I only noticed this recently, within the past week. I have been using my right jaw muscles a lot lately to flush out food using water. Pressuring and pushing water through the cracks of my teeth because food is easily caught between top right side's last two teeth. As a result, I think I might of strained my jaw muscle, but I am not certain if that is the case. I want some closure on this issue because I want to treat it if it is something more serious, such as an infection or TMJ disorder. I have been doing jaw muscle stretches I found online. If this is just simple case of swollen jaw muscles or using my jaw too much, how long would this 'swelling' or 'lump' underlying my skin last? If not a swollen muscle, what else could it be, and what are the precautions and next steps to receiving treatment? Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - March - 2012, at 21:04 PM

• From your symptoms it does not look like that you have TMJ problem as in Tmj there s difficulty in opening and closing the mouth. It looks like a case of infected tooth as you have mentioned that food sticks between the two teeth. So there is decay which has caused infection and hence the swellimg or if wisdom teeth are not erupted then it can be because of the eruption of the wisdom tooth on that side. Go to the dentist and get the clinical examination done along with the X-ray. For more info on dental pain you can visit the following link....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-dental-pain--539.aspx

Free Dental Consultation