The last 3 days I have been horrible throbbing tooth pain in my left front tooth and the tooth right next to it where I had a root canal done one year ago was also hurting. I went today to a local dentist and did xrays and said the old root canal needs to be fixed and the tooth giving me excruciating pain also needs a root canal so I'm scheduled for next Thursday for both teeth. I was given 300mg of clindamycin and Tylenol 3 with codeine. So my question is how long will it take for the antibiotic to start giving me some relief? And i handle pain pretty well but i'am getting no relief from the Tylenol 3. So does that take a while to work or should I call my dentist tomorrow and let her know I'm not getting any relief? And i'am unable to take any NSAIDS as I'am highly allergic to them. I forgot to mention the tooth without the root canal is infected. I would appreciate any advice I could get!! Thanks!!!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - June - 2014, at 20:39 PM

• In the infected teeth, you have to get the root canal treatment done but the tooth which is already root canal treated may or may not be needing root canal because sometimes you have referred pain also. So xray and clinical symptoms will decide about root canal in it. Normally the antibiotics start working after 3 days when the antibiotic level is enough in the blood and you start getting the relief. As far as pain is concerned, if you are not haing any  relief, you can call your dentist. for more info on root canal you can check this link in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation