Hi, thanks in advance for any advice. My question is this: what do you do when you have second and third and fourth opinions and they all contradict each other. My situation is that I was going to the same dentist for a while and was very happy with the service he had provided until my last visit. Perhaps he had some personal problems because his mood was radically different than I had seen before. I had told him that I didn't have a lot of money to spend on dental work and he obliged by seeking out the most economic treatment.. This worked for a while, however, I think given my circumstances, over time he stopped informing me of any problems that I may have been having. He just wrote everything off and said that nothing can be done. I complained of severe gum swelling and he told me that I had a large pocket between my back molar and premolar and that all I could do was try to clean the area as diligently as possible. Well I tried that and subsequently came down with an infection in my gums while on vacation. I saw three dentists who all told me that there was a problem with the back molar. The first told me that they don't know until they open the filling whether or not a root canal is necessary and that the premolar had a high filling. The second told me that a root canal needed to be done on that back molar and the filling for the premolar had to be replaced. The third told me that both needed a root canal. I wasn't able to do the treatment while abroad and decided to change my dentist in the states. I use a dental plan that gives me a discounted rate (the same as doing it abroad). The dentist in the states told me that I have an apical cyst (that's a first) and that I needed to see an endodentist. Since my plan only covers 25% she told me at the time of the visit that she would try to find someone who would do it for a reduced rate if I wasn't able to find anyone. To make a long story short, when I called her about a recommendation, she completely changed her tone and said that it's too expensive for me and that she would try to do the root canal herself and that I need 2 root canals (molar and premolar). She said that she would try the premolar first and if I don't have any problems then we would wait for 6 months and do another x - ray to see if the cyst is still there. As I have few options with this dental plan (I have to wait 2 weeks before changing dentists and have had two instances already of infection) I agreed despite being more than doubtful about her intentions. Once again thanks very much for your time. Sincerely, Vladislav

Leave Comment

Comments

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 18 - June - 2012, at 02:16 AM

  • The first thing to do is to visit a specialized endodontist and get an X ray done. If you are low on budget then i would suggest you to go to a dental school. Though the treatment there will be done by budding dentists but it will be under the strict supervision of experienced doctors. The treatment there is quite cheap or may be free of cost.

    Now getting back to the treatment, after Getting an Xray, doctor will have  a brief idea that what the treatment modality should be. if the caries is involvind nerves also than temporary filling will be done and teeth will be analysed for few days to look for remineralization and if there is no mineralization seen then RCT is the only choice else s/he will do permanent filling...for more detailed info visit the link....http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation