Today I got my tooth removed. It's on the bottom and my dentist gave me 7 shots to make me numb. 5 in the back of my mouth and 2 near the tooth that had to be removed. The extraction went well but now the numbness has worn off and he didn't prescribe me any medication. It feels like the side of my face beat in. Is there anything I can do to reduce the pain? I am a 16 year old girl and I have to go back to school tomorrow. Is there any food I could eat that won't get stuck in the fresh hole. And my mouth will not open that much like I Have lock jaw, is there something I can do to make it better?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - October - 2012, at 23:45 PM

• Some amount of pain and discomfort is expected for few days after tooth extraction. Amount of pain which occurs after tooth extraction is dependent on procedure which is used for the extraction of the tooth and the degree of trauma to the adjacent tissues.Pain can be managed after tooth extraction withover the counter pain medicaments.Analgesics are given after the tooth extraction to relieve the pain.During the first 24 hours after tooth extraction, you should take soft and liquid diet and should avoid taking food from the side where tooth was extracted. It is advised to do warm saline rinses 24 hours after the tooth extraction to reduce the pain and swelling. Take rest.You should avoid spitting, sucking, drinking anything with straw for minimum of 24 hours after tooth extraction and should not smoke for minimum of 2 days after tooth extraction.Smoking can create negative pressure and can cause dislodgement of clot and lead to dry socket.

It is also common to have pain in the jaw after the extraction as the mouth is held open for long time during the tooth extraction. Massaging the muscles gently, hot compresses application and over the counter analgesics can reduce the soreness of the jaw. Allow relaxation of the muscles and the jaw joint and don’t take hard crusted foods.

For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/dental-pain-after-tooth-extraction-890.aspx

Free Dental Consultation