Okay, on dec 31st 2012 I got the remaining 23 teeth pulled due to a hereditary calcium misdistribution. Due to the oxy codone the first fe days were fine. After surgery I stopped bleeding well enough to not need to replace the gauze. On day 3 I started to swell when previously had hardly any. My jaw was pained at the right joint. I also had pain and a lump about 2/3 the way towards the front of my bottom jaw bone. Day 5 I had had enough and called it in. They told me to come back. The second surgeon had said he didn't like the way the first had sutured, and that from what he could tell food had gotten in there and festered. It was infected after reopening the gums along the bottom right jaw going from back to about 2/3 of the way up, he cleaned it out ( including scraping the bone) he put in a drain and told me to come back in 3 days (mon the 5th) while the drain was in it was both painful and uncomfortable, there was a bump along my jaw which I assumed was the drain. Mon came and I went back ( glad to be rid of the thing) the third guy took the drain out, rinsed the are and painfully pushed the gums back together. It is now wed and I still have pain along that jaw and a bump. However the pain is not as bad as before, but nonetheless still a significant amount of pain. Now I don't know if this is normal, okay, or something to worry about and for heavens sake I REALLY don't want to go back if I don't have to. How long is there supposed to be pain after a traumatic double oral surgurey? Is the bump (which does hurt when pressed btw) due to all the trauma or something to worry about? Is stiffness a week and a half later okay ( just on bottom but all the way around)? Also I do have arthritis in my right jaw hinge. Thank you for your time and answers

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - January - 2013, at 09:58 AM

• As now after the 2nd surgery, the pain is decreasing and swelling is also less, so it seems, everything is ok. It takes time for the bone to heal especially after full mouth extractions. It takes around 6 weeks to 3 months for complete healing. So if pain is not increasing and swelling is also decreasing day by day then you donot have to worry but you have to maintain very good oral hygiene. Follow all the instructions given by your dentist and take your meds regularly. You must do warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day which will help in maintaining good oral hygiene and will keep infection at bay. for more info on full mouth extrations you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation