Started feeling pain in lower right gums about a month ago. Teeth not sensitive to heat or cold or to touch or chewing. However, somewhere on bottom molars right side, experiencing throbbing pain when sucking on candy, spicey food such as spaghetti sauce, hurts when washing face bottom jaw or when talking. Sometimes when moving tongue around will feel sore spot but hard to figure out just exactly where the pain is (what tooth or gum around which tooth). Molar Tooth #30 has a 13 year old crown. Visited dentist who took x-ray and nothing showed up on x-ray, tapped tooth,and tested ice with no reaction. Dentist advised to remove the existing crown on #30, perform root canal and replace with new crown. Root canal performed 2 weeks ago. Painful with symptoms feel like stretching ligiments or needles pricking my mouth. Called Dentist to describe symptoms and he prescribed 10-day antibiotic (amoxicillan). Returned to dentist on 2/1 to have new crown put on and descibed still feeling pain, dentist prescribed Oral Rinse Chlorhexidine Gluconate and been using that now for 4 days with no improvement. Delayed putting on new crown for two more weeks. Unfortunately I still am experiencing the pain. What could this be? Did the dentist recommend the wrong tooth for root canal? Is it possible my pain is not related to the teeth itself but to the gum or jaw? Do I have an infection and perhaps a stronger antibiotic? What is the next step I should take with discussions with my dentist? Should I get a 2nd opinion? 53 years old and never had any dental problems before. General cleanings, cavities/filllings and 2 crowns over 53 years. Please advise. . . Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 06 - February - 2012, at 08:54 AM

• If after root canal treatment you are having pain in root canal treated tooth then that is normal as after root canal treatment tooth takes sometime to settle down. From your symptoms it looks like that your dentist diagnosis is right and the initial pain was in the tooth which was crowned which was slowly decaying. when slow decay is there then there is no actue pain but the side is tender as you were having pain while washing face or sucking candy etc. If you are not convinced and the pain is not going then you can take a second opinion as pain after Root canal treatment should subside with a week or two. For more info on complications after root canal treatment you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation