I have a fixed bridge which I've had for at least 15 years. It is still in great shape, but the gums above it are smaller. There is a gap between the bridge and my gums. Is there anything I can do?

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 10 - February - 2012, at 08:56 AM

  • If the gap has developed between the gums and teeth then you have to go for the change of bridge because once the gums start shrinking and the gap develops then food lodgement starts, which causes the gum problem. The maintaining of oral hygiene becomes difficult and this accentuates the problem. So first get an xray done and if bone loss is there along with gum shinking then bridge has to be removed, SCRP is done and if needed bone augmentation is done and then you can go for new bridge. For the timebeing you can do warm saline rinses and try to maintain good oral hygiene especially in that area. for more info on dental bridge you can read this article..  http://www.identalhub.com/article_how-do-bridges-work-225.aspx

Free Dental Consultation