My son is currently 13 months old. He got his first tooth at 8 months (bottom left central incisor) I'm concerned because that tooth is crooked, hasn't fully erupted, and no other bottom teeth have come in. He has his top 2 central incisors and the top lateral incisors are cutting. I'm worried there is an impaction. I am waiting for insurance coverage, which will be effective January 1st, but I'm wondering if this is something urgent that I should pay out of pocket, or if waiting 2 more months will be ok? I know it's difficult to offer advice without seeing the problem, but what are the risks and treatment options for an impacted baby tooth? Thank you so much for your time, and any advice is grately appreciated! Carrie McGuckin

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 08 - November - 2012, at 04:28 AM

•  Don't worry.There is a wide range of teething times.The best indication of timing is genetics, so if you know anyone who might recall when your teeth (or the other parent's teeth) came in, that might ease your mind.There is no need to get an X-ray done at present. If, in the very rare case, he is missing any of the teeth,  nothing can be done about it at this age anyway. In fact, not for another 3-4 years or so. So, not necessary to expose him to xrays.You can wait for your dental appointment till january.Till then take care of the child's oral hygiene.Ideally brushing should be started as soon as the first tooth appears in the oral cavity.

For more info on teeth eruption pattern, refer to…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_human-dentition-233.aspx

Free Dental Consultation