10 days after extraction, my dentist twisted 2 sharp tops off attached bone poking up into my gum on the cheek side of my healing socket. After extraction, bleeding stopped as expected, and I had no dry socket symptoms, but the sharp points caused pain and inflammation until removed. However, the dentist said the site was healing more slowly than expected after 10 days. He said if healing hadn't improved significantly by day 17 then he might need to intervene. What are some possible causes of this slow healing, and what interventions can dentists use to speed the healing process?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - February - 2013, at 07:50 AM

• Sometimes healing takes longer as it can be primary healing or secondary healing. In case of secondary healing the extraction socket takes longer to heal. It can be because of the bone spicules which were not rounded off during extraction as in your case they were poking out after 10 days of tooth extraction. If you donot have any pain and swelling in extraction socket and there is no systemic problems like diabetes then you can wait a bit longer as it can takes 3 weeks to 3 months for the healing to take place. If not satisfied then you can take second opinion. For more info on healing after tooth  extraction you can check this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation