I had a root canal done last thursday started antibiotics. the infection did not go away it got very severe dentist has fri sat sun off so monday I went in he said I have't o extract it or see a surgeon and it would take days or a week to see one so I chose extraction. Everything seems much better but there is still pain and tenderness still some swelling too along with nasty taste but doesnt seem to be a dry socket. My question is; at this point I just ran out of antibiotics my dentist is off fri sat sun so should I be worried that this infection could get worse again because I ran out of antibiotics before all symptoms of infection went away? Will it now run its course and go away? The first 6 dsys of taking antbiotics was before it got worse and had to be.extracted so really ive only been on antibiotics for 4 days since therocedure that actualy helped is this bad?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - March - 2012, at 22:58 PM

• For antibiotics full course has to be taken which is recommendd by your dentist . It is difficult to comment on this whethere the infection wil reoccur or not as we have not seen the case clinically. The dentist who has pulled out your tooth knows about the extent of infection and accordingly he would have prescribed you the antibiotics. Normally 10 days of antibiotics is quite sufficient as you have taken 6 days before and 4 days afterwards. You can try to see the dentist but if he is not available then keep doing warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day and maintain good oral hygeine. For more info on tooth extracton you can visit the following link.........http://www.identalhub.com/dental-pain-after-tooth-extraction-890.aspx

Free Dental Consultation