I recently began flossing my teeth regularly. Two particular teeth were hurting and bleeding when I started. The gums in between those teeth turned a grayish brown color after flossing for about a week or two. Now the gum in between those teeth is gone. It's like it fell off. Will it grow back? What do I do? What is going to happen now?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - December - 2011, at 01:40 AM

• Flossing is done to remove the deposits which are present in Interdental areas. Bleeding and soreness on flossing can be there if you are flossing very hard or if there are deposits present interdentally. If bleeding and soreness is because of deposits and food accumulates present interdentally, then it will regress after some time. If the gums have fallen off after flossing, then it probably suggests that you are flossing too hard and you are not using the right technique to floss. You must have lacerated your gums by flossing too hard. Before flossing, it is important to know the right way to floss teeth. You can visit your dentist to learn flossing technique or can read articles on right technique of flossing. To floss, Wrap the floss around middle finger of right hand and pass it gently in between pair of teeth in gentle sawing motion and it is then curved into C shape around the tooth and is rubbed up and down. If the gums have lacerated because of flossing, then it will grow back. You can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day which will facilitate the healing process. Maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly without irritating the gums too much. Brush gently over the area till the gums heal completely. You can also use gum paint available over the counter and massage with it. For more info on dental flossing, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-flossing-59.aspx

Free Dental Consultation