Had root canal and was informed, towards end of procedure the drill many very small breakthrough/hole into sinus. Dentist cleaned it/gave temp. filling. Said he recommended antibiotics and to wait a week til he finishes (he also put something inside my tooth that, cause he said it was so calcified and microbes and such, would help clean it out for a week re other teeth or something like that). So, he said try not to sneeze or cough (not easy to do). I'd like to know though how common this is and if his plan once that happened, is a good one, or are there more complications possible I should be on guard for.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - January - 2014, at 19:49 PM

• In case of upper molars, sometimes roots are very near to sinus and the file is extended beyond the apex, it causes perforation in sinus. Though this is not very common but it do happens. If the tooth is disinfected and canals are sterile then there is no chance of complication. This perforation heals in a week or 10 days and after that the normal root canal procedure can be carried out. But if you have pain, swelling then that means it is not responding to the treatment and in that case you may have to get the tooth pulled out. for more info on root canal treatment you can check the following link in our website...... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation