I recently had a tooth extraction on #31. I developed a blood clot that is currently whitish in color. I am concerned about dry socket so I keep track of the clot. I have only been eating very soft foods but it seems each time I eat, I lose some of the clot. My dentist said this is normal, once the bleeding stops & healing begins, the clot has served its purpose. Do you agree with this? At what day is the blood clot expected to slowly come off? Is it considered normal to lose a part of the clot upon eating, 3rd to 4th day after extraction?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - November - 2013, at 20:05 PM

• First 24 hours after tooth extraction are crucial in which clot dislodgement should not take place othewise chances of dry socket are very high. However after 3-4 days, it is normal to have a whitesh clot which is slowly dissolving. This is normal. Take all the precautions and follow the instructions given by your dentist and donot irritate that clot. Maintain good oral hygiene and keep doing warm saline rinses. It normally 7-10 days for the socket to heal in case of normal tooth extraction. for more info on do's and dont's after tooth extraction, you can check the following link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation