Hi, I just had and extraction done Saturday afternoon. 2 Teeth were extracted. My bottom right wisdom tooth, which was impacted, and the Molar furthest in back right beside the wisdom tooth. It didn't require surgery, but I did receive sutures. It bled (what seemed like to me) excessively. As I am unable to take narcotic painkillers, the pain was moderately obnoxious for a good 24 hours after the novocaine wore off. 800mg of ibuprofen along with a tiny bit of liquid anbesol worked great other than when I would swap out my gauze. 30 minutes wasnt getting it to clot at first so I was leaving it in for an hour-hour 1/2 at a time, with a few tea bags inbetween. I didn't sleep at all saturday night. I ended up wrapping up half a tea bag in gauze and now I've had it in for over 24 hours after eventually falling asleep. I'm not seeing any blood in my saliva now, but am afraid the clot and gauze are stuck together. SO finally my question: I'm afraid of ripping out the clot/damaging the stitches. How should I go about removing the gauze at this point?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - November - 2013, at 09:13 AM

• The gauze should not be there for so long. Now if it is stuck there then you have to go to your dentist to get it removed because initial 24 hours are crucial for clot formation and if the clot dislodges then you will end up having dry socket, which is quite a painful condition. But in your case, as sutures are given it is quite unlikely that clot will come out with gauge but still it is better if you call your dentist for info. for more info on do's and don'ts after tooth extraction, you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation