I am 31 years old and all my teeth except three molars are in good shape. My left lower molar needed a filling where my dentist put in a composite filling. The next day I could not eat the pain was horrible. I went to see another dentist ( mine wasn't open on Sat.)and he performed the cold test which literally made me cry. He gave me pain meds and antibiotics saying there was a very small infection and that she had drilled to the pulp. One week later my dentist put in a temporary filling which she stated was the kind where my tooth would either need root canal treatment or extraction. I no longer felt pain after this. However last week I felt a rough spot on the side of the tooth and could not floss between the back two teeth. Two days ago she said she could not file it because there was a chip on my tooth and the filling was starting to come out. She then gave me a second temporary filling. My pain is back twofold. I can not chew on that side, and immediately after and still my lower cheek feels bruised and sore to the touch. My dentist said she would perform a root canal in a month while working on other teeth which I received another filling with no pain. However I just can't take the pain and would rather the tooth be pulled I cannot take a "failed" root canal. I have read that if the nerve is alive you should not have a root canal and I can't understand why she is waiting so long to pull this tooth. I have been off antibiotics for weeks and I'm very scared of infection.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - March - 2014, at 20:23 PM

• If you really want to save the tooth and there is infection then you have to get the root canal treatment done. The prognosis and success of root canal treatment is very high if it is done properly but it all depends on your priorities whether you really want to save the tooth or not. It is a myth that if the nerves are live the you should not get the RCT done rather in such cases, RCT is very successful. You can discuss this with your dentist and decide the treatment plan. for more info on Root Canal Treatment you can check this link in our website..... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation