I had a root canal on a tooth over a year ago and now I am having pain all on the right side of my face and I can't chew. I saw a dentist and got antibiotics and pain meds and now they are telling me I might need to have another root canal. How does a root canaled tooth get infected? Now I am going to have to pay to have the same procedure redone not to mention the cost of another crown. Are there any other options besides another root canal or extraction?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 08 - August - 2013, at 20:16 PM

• Normally the root canal treated tooth if properly crowned does not get infected but sometimes because of the gum problem, it becomes Endo Perio case and infection sets in and sometimes due to accessory canals in the tooth, the infection is there. There are so many causes and if you really want to save the tooth, you have to go for re-root canal treatment of the tooth. In this old crown is removed / sectioned and old filling is removed from tooth and tooth is re-root canal treatment is done. This is common procedure when the root canal treated tooth gets infected. There is no other alternative. You have to either get it retreated or extracted. for more info on re-root canal treatment you can check this link......http://www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

Free Dental Consultation