Hi, I had a tooth extracted 3 days ago. While seeing the dentist, I asked about a problem that came up 5 or 5 days before. My teeth on the upper right and in the back seem to hurt non stop and have become EXTREMLY painful when I drink anything even slightly warm or cool...hot or cold is unbearable. My dentist checked and could not find anything wrong except the fact that my gums are receeding which, due to root exposure, could definately cause the pain. He gave me a prescription strength toothpaste that he said should help. My question is, how long after starting the toothpaste, should I starting getting some relief? I'm losing weight from not being able to eat.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - September - 2012, at 22:13 PM

• There is apical shift in position of gums in case of gum recession which causes exposure of roots. It is a very frequent problem. In case of gum recession, tooth looks longer than normal and causes sensitivity of the teeth.If mild gum recession is present, then it can be treated by dental cleaning of the affected area. To remove the plaque and calculus deposits from the teeth, dental scaling and root planning is done.Antibiotics may also be given to patient to treat gum recession.Restoration may also be done to reduce the sensitivity.If gum recession is severe and has caused excess of bone loss and deep pockets are present, then gum surgery may also be required to treat gum recession.For more info on recession of gums,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_treatment-and-causes-of-gum-recession-887.aspx

Free Dental Consultation