My #12 tooth has a crack that runs across the tooth where #13 meets it. #12 previously had a resin based composite filling. The crack runs across the surface next to the filling and a little ways down both sides. I estimate that if the tooth breaks it will be about 1/8th the volume of the tooth. The Dr. ordered a porcelain crown on high noble metal for repair. Is that the only fix for this problem?

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 16 - April - 2013, at 20:53 PM

  • From the description of tooth given by you, if the composite filling cannot hold the tooth from cracking then best way forward is to go for crown on that tooth. As your #12 has big crack running across the tooth, the chances of holding of composite filling are not good. So your dentist is correct in advising you to go for dental crown. He must has assessed it from xrays which shows true picture of crack. The decision of going for procelain crown or high noble metal crown depends entirely on you as both are good except for the aesthetic value and cost difference. For more info on  crown you can check this article which may help you in concluding for the type of crown needed.

Free Dental Consultation