Hi there, Today, I went to the dentist for a free dental check up provided by Medicare Australia for teens. Teens between the age of 12-17 years can go for a check up and additional services if needed. The Voucher values to $163.05 and normally, the dentist just claims all of it even though it is not worth that much. The check up lasted 5 minutes. My brother laid on the chair and the dentist looked around for a minute and said his teeth was fine. No clean needed or anything. I had my turn, they said I had some stains so they removed it. Done. $326.10 all up for not even 10 minutes. After walking out, I noticed that there were still black spots in my teeth. The dentist had said I had no holes. So I went back to complain, thinking they missed several spots. Also, I had believed that a clean should have been entitled to both me and my brother. The lady at the desk told us that there was no need and it was 'extra servicing'. She then directed us to a Doctor who said the same thing. He did end up cleaning the missed stains but said the other black spots were tiny holes. Holes that 'we leave alone' and not drill. He had said it will be there for the rest of my life and I shouldn't drill them, just don't eat bad food and brush regularly. I don't trust his judgement but he says I have 4-5 tiny holes. Should they be drilled and filled? Also, the doctor and the lady at the front desk told me they haven't got their teeth cleaned in 10-15 years which was hard to believe and unreasonable. Thank you.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - November - 2012, at 04:08 AM

• The tiny holes on your tooth surface are called as pits.These pits are very small and hard to point out on teeth.These pits are self-cleansing in most cases.These pits and fissures if  needed can be filled with a sealant. The sealant is a hard smooth substance and makes it harder for plaque to form on the teeth. It last for at least 10-20 years. To use the sealant  the dentist starts off by cleaning the teeth and etches the teeth to help the sealant stick better. They try to keep the teeth from getting wet with saliva as it might get harder for the sealant to stick.  The sealant is applied with a cotton swab and a special kind of  light is passed over the sealant to fix it in place. Care is taken not  get the teeth wet for about 24 hrs.

For more info,visit the link,http://www.identalhub.com/article_pit-and-fissure-sealant-251.aspx

Free Dental Consultation