I went into my dentist to have a consultation to remove my last two remaining wisdom teeth on the bottom. The dentist discovered an infection (which turned into an abscess with 5 days of my visit) and advised me that I would need to have that tooth removed. It is my upper left molar, and has already been treated with a root canal years earlier. I have been on 500mg of Amoxicilin every 6 hours for the last 5 days, and the pus pocket above the infected molar has reduced in size. My question is this; I'm not scheduled for my wisdom teeth removal and infected molar extraction until September 19. I'm scared that once I'm out of antibiotics (last dose is this Saturday) that the infection will return. And I just started experiencing twinges of pain in that tooth. Is it too long to wait for extraction, should I try to find an oral surgeon who can schedule me sooner?

Leave Comment

Comments

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 05 - September - 2013, at 20:18 PM

  • If the tooth is infected and it has to be pulled out, it is better to get it pulled out when you are already on antibiotics as otherwise may be you have to take the antibiotics again as you are scheduled for 19th sep. So if possible either reschedule your appointment or go to some other dentist. for more info on tooth extraction you can check this link in  our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-tooth-extraction-27.aspx

Free Dental Consultation