I recently visited a local dentist after a long hiatus. Surprisingly I had no cavities but I needed a root canal and crown on #18 and another crown on #31. Following the root canal on 18 i was prepped for the crown and fitted with a temp. I returned two weeks later for the permanant crown on 18 and to be prepped on 31. The crown was too high and the dentist liked the anatomy of the tooth so rather than grind it to size he sent it back to the lab for correction. Another two weeks later I returned to get both permanant crowns. 18 was a good fit and needed very minor adjustment and feels just like a normal tooth. 31 however was quite high and the dentist proceeded to grind it down so it was a good fit. However the anatomy of the tooth is completely altered. It is completely smooth and round and does not feel like a tooth at all. Shouldnn't he have sent back 31 to get resized like he did with 18? What should I do?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - November - 2012, at 23:50 PM

• Is it causing you pain or discomfort, or is it more a matter of annoyance because it is different?If your bite is "off" or if you are experiencing pain, by all means, call the dentist.One tooth being "off" could cause a lot of problems in other parts of your mouth. Just make an appointment with your dentist for having it looked at.If you are not comfortable with your crown,you should be very insistent with your dentist that he re-do this for you. The crown is supposed to be comfortable and look  and feel like a natural tooth.The dentist may need to re-prep your tooth to make room for an appropriate crown.They're supposed to work with you, and with the lab to get it right, not just stick something on your tooth that doesn't feel right to you. 

For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/dental-reasons-for-dental-crown-to-fall-897.aspx

Free Dental Consultation