I have a son who is severely disabled and does not speak. I noticed that his cheek was slightly swollen and made an apt for the next morning (it had swollen more overnight and his eye underneath was also puffy)when I went into the dentist they took 2 x-rays and informed me that the tooth needed to be retreated for a failed root canal (I do not have insurance except Medical and Reginal Center has helped with his procedures in the recent prior months.)What he did was give him a local and cut into the inside of his cheek(not gum) and using only a scalpul to make an incision and hemostats to dig around in the hole that he cut into his cheek, as I was right there all that they suctionrd out was some blood, no pus like he thought was there. When I returned home I looked up re-treatment of root canals online and found that was not the procedure done. Also, when I pulled up x-ray pictures of the treatment on Google Image Search I realized that the x-ray I had seen of the tooth that day did not have the look of a root canal having been performed at all. The roots that I saw clearly didn't have the white plugs that show up for root canals. This led me to question the prior work that had been done in his prior visit to this dentist that Regional Center had paid him for. Suposedly he'd had 2 bicuspid (this tooth being one of them) and 2 molars root canaled w/core buildup and pins on all. Also during the same session (my son has to be put under general Anesthesia for this, in office)he was supposed to have done Perio scale on his LR, LL, UR, UL. The more I learn about what's entailed in these procedures I don't believe it was possible to do all this in 3hrs.Please let me know what you think about these issues, am I way off base? Thanks for your time, Gabriele

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - October - 2014, at 20:31 PM

• Root canal treated tooth is distinguishable from other teeth due to filling in canals as the fillings are radio opaque and looks white on xrays. If pins / post and core are also put then they also give the same image in xray and one can easily distinguish between root canal filling and post n core. Whether all these 4 root canal with post n core and scaling is possible in 3 hours, cannot be commented upon as it depends on circumstances and dentist. If you are not convinced then better take second opinion. for more info on Root Canal Treatment you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation