I will be 60 this month, am in good health and I have all of my teeth, including all 4 wisdom teeth, which all have crowns. Due to decay, my dentist recommends I replace the existing crowns on one of my upper wisdom teeth and the molar next to it. About a year or two ago, she replaced my other upper crown for similar reasons. After several shots of local 'caine, my tooth was still very sensitive, but I decided to go ahead with the procedure, which was somewhat excruciating. So you can understand that I am not looking forward to a repeat performance on the other upper side. Since all my wisdom teeth are weaker than the other teeth, and are all crowned, would it be prudent to just go ahead and begin to remove them starting with the offending wisdom tooth and just crown the one next to it? Not sure how the insurance company will feel if I also extract the lower opposing wisdom tooth now; I think it was recently crowned. I have dental insurance, but will still be out of pocket over $1k for both crowns. My dentist doesn't do general anesthesia or gas. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - April - 2013, at 20:37 PM

• At this age, if you feel that wisdom teeth are weak and they are getting decayed and need recrowning then it is better to get them pulled out. However the tooth next to the wisdom tooth should not be pulled out and you should try to save it as far as possible. Normally when one wisdom tooth is extracted then opposing wisdom tooth of the same side is also pulled out as it can over erupt and cause problems like cheek bite. You can discuss this option with your dentist and get the wisdom teeth pulled out. For more info on wisdom teeth you can check this article in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-frequently-asked-questions-about-wisdom-teeth-920.aspx

Free Dental Consultation