I had two extractions done 6 days ago - both lateral incisors. One seems to be healing nicely - no problems. However, the other one is making me worry. It is really swollen from front and on the back extending to the roof of my mouth (it seems like the only part swollen from the back is where my tooth/root was - starting from the tooth all the way to the roof - like a crack). I had bone grafting done on both. The swelling is a little irritating especially when I bite down. It feels like I have a bad pizza burn. The pain is a 2 or a 3 out of 10. Unfortunely my doc won't be back for few more days and I don't know if I should wait or not or just go see someone else before he gets back. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT MY PHOTO: http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u635/gina789/0111_zpsdc1762e6.jpg

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 15 - October - 2012, at 03:13 AM

• Swelling is usually expected after bone grafting.This is the body's normal reaction to the bone grafting surgery and eventual repair.Swelling will be minimized by the use of ice packs.The ice packs should be applied tothe side of the face where the surgery was performed. Swelling will be there for a week to 10 days,but you can take medications as prescribed by your dentist.It can take up to 3 weeks for the healing to take place but you have to be careful to maintain the good oral hygeine so that the wound does not get infected.Keep doing warm saline rinses very gently 2 to 3 times a day and take soft diet.

For more info on bone grafting you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-bone-grafting-343.aspx

Free Dental Consultation