I have veneers on my front 6 teeth. A few of them have slight ledges under the gumline due to the extremely small size of the teeth under them. These ledges have made it difficult to floss in the past and I have a history of having minor redness and bleeding when going to my cleaning visits but they haven't been serious, and have been attributed to my mouthgaurd (bruxism) causing me to breath through my mouth when I sleep. 2 days ago, I noticed that my floss smelled bad after flossing. (smell exactly the same as that of tonsil stones that I had when I was a kid, anaerobic bacterial digestion smells) I had missed a couple days of flossing, so I thought it was just a bit of food that was cought up on one of the ledges as the smell was localized to 2 teeth. The smell has not gone away, and my concern is that it is a condition that I need to go in to get checked out, or if it is just something I need to pay attention to, clean well, and wait to see if it goes away before going in.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - July - 2012, at 22:43 PM

• Since your foul smell is localized to a particular tooth so there are chances of pocket formation. I would recommend you to visit a periodontist and get the curettage done. Curettage is a surgical procedure where the root scaling is done using a specialized instrument. It will help in the removal of debris and dead bacteria. For more information visit the link....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-causes-symptoms-and-treatment-of-gum-abscess-900.aspx

Free Dental Consultation