I seen a dentist regarding a partially impacted wisdom tooth which I had for about three years. A flap of gum formed over time which bleeds. My dentist told me this was not normal and stated it could be overgrowth tissue. I am worried about this. Hopefully this is not serious. What kind of oral medical conditions cause this? Thank You

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - February - 2012, at 08:32 AM

• If the tissue grows over the wisdom tooth then this is called pericoronitis. This is basically around the tooth which grows over the tooth due to repeated trauma or lack of proper cleaning over that area. As your wisdom tooth is already partially impacted you should go for the extraction of wisdom tooth and as such also wisdom tooth does not help in mastication of food. If the wisdom tooth is impacted that means there is no space for its growth and the antagonist tooth ie the opposite tooth is causing the irritation of the soft tissue which is present on the partially impacted tooth. There is nothing to worry and it is pretty normal which happens commonly. Go to your dentist and get the wisdom tooth pulled out. Till then do warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day and try to keep that area clean. for more info on Pericoronitis you can read this article...  http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-is-pericoronitis-909.aspx

Free Dental Consultation