About 5 weeks ago a metal crown was installed and the initial 2-3 weeks was chronically painful, with severe sensitivity to cold and heat. That sensitivity may be ameliorating, but I still have more or less constant low levels of pain from that area of the mouth. I have had two or three other crowns for a number of years now and have never experienced this before. Is this a sign of a poor job, or just one of those things that I was fortunate to avoid with the other crowns? I was a bit surprised when the dental assistant performed some parts of the procedure that the dentist had performed with the previous crowns. In my experience, the assistant hands tools and supplies to the dentist and wields the suction device and not a lot more. Could the assistant's doing part of the prep work on the tooth for the permanent crown be associated with this problem? thanks HH

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - May - 2015, at 10:02 AM

• Regarding pain after new crown, you have not written whether the tooth was root canal treated or not. If the tooth is root canal treated then there is no chance of pain especially sensitivity. Pain can be there but that too if the root canal is not done properly. If the crown is put without root canal treatment then you may need root canal treatment to stop the sensitvity. So schedule an appointment with your dentist and discuss it with him. Regarding your question on dental assistant doing prep work for crown, I just can say then the dental assistants only give tools, do suction and take impressions. In your case also only these things may have been done by assistant. If you feel that assistant did more then you can discuss with your dentist. For more info on dental crowns you can check this link in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-crowns-72.aspx

Free Dental Consultation