Hello there, I had my lower and upper right wisdom teeth removed last Friday (11/9/2012) under local anesthesia. The whole process took around five minutes and booth teeth came out very easy. On Saturday (11/10/2012), I felt there is numbness on my right lower lip and right side of chin and front lower teeth and gum on inside. Two days later, although there is numbness I have periodic itching, burning sensation, crawly feelings, and ant bite feeling in my chin and lip. Does this mean I have inferior alveolar nerve damage? Will it get better? Is there anything I can take to help this situation? Thanks for the help!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - November - 2012, at 00:02 AM

• Don't worry.The lower wisdom tooth is supplied by a nerve on each side called the mandibular nerve that supplies the tooth and the lower lip and chin on each side.There has been some trauma to the mandibular nerve that supplied the teeth , tongue, and lip on that side. This can range from a tingling to total numbness of these areas. Healing of nerve tissue is a slow process but in almost all cases comes back. It can take from a few days to few months. Tingling is a good sign and the damage is not as severe as total numbness.Waiting, at this time, is your only recourse.  There are surgical procedures to reattach the nerve if injured, but with your dentist the only one who might know the extent of injury,I would suggest that you wait and see if the numbness does resolve.Be patient and time should take care of the problem. Good luck.

For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-removal-of-wisdom-teeth-254.aspx

Free Dental Consultation