i have been on clndamycin since the end of march,(just finished friday) I had a second root canal done on a cap. it was very bad and made my face swell. When the dr took xrays, he said the tooth next to it which is also a root canal tooth, said it is showing signs of being abscesed as welll. i woke up this morning and my tooth right below it is abscesed. what i dont understand is that i have been on an antibiotic,shouldnt that have taken the infection away????? help

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - May - 2015, at 19:51 PM

• Though you were on antibiotic but antibiotics supresses the symptoms and infection but it does not cure that abscess. For that abscess has to be drained. In the case of teeth, it is done with root canal treatment. It is unfortunate that in your case, that infection is recurring and it means the antibiotic is not enough or it is not compatible with the infection in your tooth and that is why even after taking antibiotics, you still have abscess. So you have to visit your dentist, he will either change the antibiotic or increase the potency. After taking medicine the dentist will decide what treatment will be needed. If the tooth is already root canal treated then may be you will need re-root canal treatment. for more info on re-root canal treatment you can check this detailed article in our website..... http://www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

Free Dental Consultation