Hello. We are an American family currently living in western Europe. My three year old son has an abscess above his front tooth, which is slightly gray and slightly loose. We think this is from a minor accident he has almost eleven months ago when he hit his mouth and got a very small chip at the bottom of his tooth. He's been on two courses of antibiotics with no change, but he also has no other symptoms - no pain, fever , etc. we've had some dentist issues, but finally found a dentist whi can use sedation (gas) to do a root canal in the morning. I'm very nervous that a three year old will not be able to handle a root canal, even with gas, and am wondering why we've seen no improvement with two courses of antibiotics. I know when I've had a root canal I've needed a crown - will he need a crown as well? I understand the importance of trying to save the tooth, but wonder if pulling it may be the easiest solution?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - April - 2012, at 20:23 PM

• Getting root canal treatment in the baby tooth is not painful as the tooth is already turned grey and there is abscess formation that means the tooth is already dead but infected. Your dentist will do it under sedation . So do not worry on that account. It is not a good option to get the tooth pulled out as th tooth which will come in its place will come at the age of 7 years and till that time your child will be with out tooth . It is a big psychologica trauma for child and secondly the child can have the speech problem. In case of baby tooth if the tooth structure is sufficient then there is no need to go for the crown. For more info on children dentistry you can visit the following link....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-broken-or-knocked-out-baby-tooth-924.aspx

Free Dental Consultation