I am a 31 yr. old male, and for five years I haven't had dental insurance until recently. Also my gums have been bleeding more and more due to I assume, bad dental hygiene. I never floss and never really was encouraged to do so by my parents and a kid and teenager. When I tried to floss in college it hurt so bad that it discouraged me, and I never did it again. In 2007, all four of my wisdom teeth started to come in, and now my lower ones are impacted and I believe my top two have completely rotted out. In just the past 6 months, when I brush the bleeding gets worse, and especially when I brush the top areas where my wisdom teeth were, they bleed so red. I plan on going to the dentist in a couple of weeks when my card comes in the mail, but am I going to be ok? I haVe headaches often where my wisdom teeth used to be, and now when I eat, whether very soft or hard foods, my gums bleed, and it's quite embarrassing. I know that a lot of health issues are caused by poor dental hygiene, including heart attack, stroke, gum disease, and cancer. Are these concerns I need to get addressed now? I know I should have gotten this taken care of sooner, but again I didn't/wasn't eligible for insurance till now, Nd didn't make enough money before... I'm more scared that I could possibly have cancer, and I hope I'm just letting my imagination run wild, but I'm very concerned when I see all that blood after spit when I'm done brushing. Please help as much as you can, any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - August - 2012, at 00:52 AM

• Yes, as you said that you never took care of your oral hygiene so these are all the symptoms of your poor oral hygiene. Excessive bleeding from the gums means that there is lot of interdental (between adjacent teeth) and subgingival (below the gingiva) plaque and calculus accumulation due to which the blood supply to the gums has increased (to cope up with the infection, its a natural defence mechanism of the body) and now when you even slightly brush or poke upon your gingive then they are ought to bleed. You should follow the below written advise:

Start flossing at least once daily and if it bleeds then dont freak just continue to floss. The flossing will improve your condition. After that brush properly using soft bristles tooth brush. Follow the technique as given in the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-do-we-need-to-brush-our-teeth-156.aspx . After that do mouth wash gargles. Though this will not increase your condition abruptly but if you will follow this technique daily then gradually your condition will improve.

Regarding wisdom tooth, if they are not in proper alignment then you need to get them extracted. For more info on flossing technique visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/dental-mistakes-that-you-can-make-while-flossing-939.aspx

Free Dental Consultation