About 4 months ago, I went to the dentist to fill a cavity on a back molar. Well after she took x-rays, she discovered another cavity on the neighboring molar so I got 2 fillings that visit. Well, one night about a month and a half ago, I bit into a piece of Kit Kat and the tip of the 2nd tooth broke off (the one I didn't even know had that cavity). I went to the dentist a few weeks later and she repaired that part of the tooth but afterwards, the tooth started to get very sensitive to pressure and cold/heat and just feels weird when my tongue rubs over it. It was never sensitive before not even when it had a cavity. I went back to the dentist a few weeks ago and after taking an x-ray, she determined there was nothing wrong with the tooth and that I would need a root canal if it continues hurting. First of all, I am NOT getting a root canal. I actually just had one done 2 weeks ago to a front tooth and that one still hurts. So I'm not putting more money down if that's not going to solve the pain issue. Secondly, I don't understand how it could hurt AFTER the repair but not before. You'd think the crown of the tooth wouldn't be close to the nerve and cause this kind of sensitivity. I can't even eat on it without it giving me a shock sensation and the pain lasts about an hour afterwards. I'm wondering if the dentist botched the procedure and is just not owning up to it. I am so mad and frustrated. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - October - 2013, at 19:59 PM

• It happens sometimes when the tooth is repaired after it is fractured as the fracture can expose the nerve or it can be very close to the nerve and when it is repaired, it becomes sensitive as it causes pressure on the nerve. It is difficult to give any advice without seeing the xray and doing clinical examination, but from your symptoms it looks like that if you really want to save the tooth then you have to go for the root canal treatment and the crown. Root canal treatment is not painful afterwards if done properly. It is unfortunate that you have pain in the tooth which was initially root canal treated. For that also you can go to dentist who has done it. In your case the molar has to be root canal treated followed by crown. If you are not convinced then you can take second opinion from another. for more info on complications after root canal treatment you can check this article in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation