I have a top, front tooth that I broke as a child, it was built back up with white composite. It is still alive and doesn't hurt, so I wanted to get porcelain or a veneer for aesthetic reasons. I recently switched dentists, and my new dentist has told me that due to clenching, the backs of my top front teeth are eroding. My front teeth are lightly curved in the back, but I have always assumed that was their natural shape. I have researched Bruxism on the internet, but I don't seem to fit any of those symptoms. No other parts of my teeth are worn down at all. My dentist won't work on my tooth until I have orthodontia to widen my palate, and move my teeth; because they claim I could grind and shatter the procelain. I don't see how this will help, as I have already had braces as a teen. The whole process could take years before my tooth is fixed. I have never heard of such a thing. Is there any truth to their claims, or should I be looking for another dentist?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - March - 2012, at 08:37 AM

• If you have bruxism then you have worn out posterior that is the back teeth. Those teeth have worn out area on the occlusal area. You must be having the traumatic bite in that the front lower teeth strike the front upper teeth in the back. In such cases also it is difficult to give the porcelain. but you are saying that as a child you got the braces treatment done. It is difficult to comment on this with out the clinical examination so if you are not convinced by your present dentist then take a second opinion. for more info on bruxism you can visit the following link....http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-bruxism-9.aspx

Free Dental Consultation