Eleven months ago I had a front tooth root canal done for sensitivity. No abscess. I experienced pain, numbness and swelling in my upper lip, just under my nose for months. Have returned to the dentist 4 times over 7 months and each time he says just give it time and take Ibuprofin. A few months back I started having clear drainage from the top of the tooth, running down into my mouth. My gums have also gotten sore, red and red spots. No bleeding. The dentist told me to brush my gums in a circular motion and told me I did not need to see a periodontist. Today I told my mother who is a RN about this and she had a fit. She feels my sinus cavity was perforated and that is why I have the drainage down the tooth. She also got very upset about my gums and immediately called and got me an appointment with her dentist. Now I am freaked out that I might loose my tooth/teeth! I did what my dentist told me to and kept following up because my problem never got better. My mom is also calling an ENT to evaluate if my sinus' was effected. What is going on? How serious is this?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - March - 2014, at 22:03 PM

• It looks like that either root canal was not performed well or some infection is still left which has caused the intraoral sinus in your case. It does not look like that sinus is perforated. The drainage can be due to periapical pathology in relation to the tooth.So get an xray done and find out the exact cause and normally it can be treated with Re Root canal treatment of tooth in which old filling of tooth is removed, tooth is again cleaned and filled. for more info on re root canal treatment you can read this article in our website..... http://www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

Free Dental Consultation