My 88 year old mother has had dentures for 52 years and is now experiencing pain on her lower jaw, even when she removes her lower plate. A dentist told her that her gums were worn down and the nerves are close to the top of her tissues. He sent her to an oral surgeon that wants to do titanium implants. I question that this procedure will relieve that pain since she has that pain with and without her dentures. Is there some other treatment that would help her? Maybe some permanent nerve block.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - April - 2012, at 23:44 PM

• The pain, as said by your dentist, is definitely due to worn out gums and nerve exposure due to denture wearing for such a long duration. Regarding titanium implants, let me tell you that implants were originally made for aged patients only who couldn't wear dentures due to worn out gums. The only point is being healthy. If your mother is healthy, of course the dentist will do complete tests before inserting implants, than you should go for implants. So, the treatment in health determined and not age determined. After getting implants, she will definitely have a better diet and good health.

To have more info on care after dental implants you can visit....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-dental-implants-aftercare-instructions-893.aspx

Free Dental Consultation