Hi, I had surgery yesterday under general anesthetic to remove 3 teeth. When I woke up this morning, 24 hours after surgery, a large pea size bloodclot was loose in my mouth - It had come away from the lower back extraction site. Now, 30 hours after extraction, there is anther large blood clot over a different extraction site, it almost fills the entire space where the tooth was. It is very loose and I think it will also come away soon. I am not currently in any severe pain. I have read about dry socket and am really worried - Are these large clots what are being referred to with dry socket? Any advice of tips would be so very very much appreciated. Thank you

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - October - 2013, at 09:35 AM

• The blood clots you have mentioned can be because of oozing of blood which has clotted in the mouth. If you have taken all the precautions then it cannot be healing clot which has dislodged. Follow all the instructions given by your dentist like donot smoke, donot drink with straw or spit and donot consume any aerated drinks and take adequate rest. Take semi solid or liquid diet. Avoid irritating the extraction socket and take your medication on time and maintain good oral hygiene. You should follow all these things and you will not have dry socket. for more info on care after tooth extraction you can check this article in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation