Hello, I had my wisdom teeth out last Thursday so it's been over 100 hours. Everything went fine, minimal swelling and no pain except for the occasional sharp twinge that lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 second. Anyway, I have still been oozing a little blood from my bottom right socket so I went to my OS this morning to get it checked out. Unfortunately the doctor wasn't in so I saw a dental hygienist. She looked at the site but wasn't able to tell if I had a dry socket as I could not open my mouth far enough for her to get a good look. She noticed that I had a lot of plaque back there so she suctioned as much as she could. She also gave me a prescription for 500 mg Amoxicillin to prevent a possible infection. When I got home I looked at the site using a flashlight and noticed that it was still oozing blood slightly. The part that concerned me was that the area is dark and kind of yellow. IS THIS A SYMPTOM OF A DRY SOCKET? It looks like it is not healing at all. Please, I am so terrified of getting one! If it is a dry socket, will the pain start immediately or will it come on gradually? How long do I have to be terrified about this for? Does this sound like an infection or a dry socket. I have a photo I could post if needed. Thank you so much, I am really freaking out. I have been a nervous wreck since I got the surgery.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - January - 2013, at 08:30 AM

•  

If you do not have any pain or swelling then it is possible that it is not a dry socket. The bleeding can be because of some irritation in that area or it may be because the extraction was difficult in that case. Follow all the instructions given by your dentist and take your meds regularly. Do warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day. In the dry socket pain is very severe. For more info on dry socket you can visit the following link…….http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-is-dry-socket-879.aspx

Free Dental Consultation