I had a root canal done on 12/27/12 on tooth #14. On 1/20/13, I was having pain in the area around that tooth. I went back to the endodontist and she said that the crack that was there previously has gotten bigger and to get the crown on ASAP. I went to my regular dentist for the cap, but when she did exrays, she thought the fracture was below the gum line. She referred me to a periodontist who also feels that the fracture is below the gum line and the tooth cannot be saved. She wants to extract it and put in an implant. I want to know if there is anything else that you think could save the tooth. Can it be bonded? Why does it hurt if the nerve was removed in the root canal?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - January - 2013, at 08:47 AM

• If the pain is only at the time of chewing and the infection has not set in then may be the tooth can be crowned but if the fracture line is very much is below the gumline and even crown lengthening cannot expose it then it is better to get it pulled out and go for dental implant. The pain in the fractured tooth is not due to nerve in the tooth but due to split in the tooth because of which the fractured part is hurting the gums and infection is being seeped into the canals. So your dentist is right in advising you to get it extracted and go for dental implant and this seems to be best treatment in your case. For more info on dental implants you can check this link.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-implants-25.aspx

Free Dental Consultation