I had the #31 tooth extracted (cut out; one stitch) Thursday morning. The pain has not gotten any better. I am a smoker and have been reading about dry socket which I've never had before and have had at least 3 other teeth pulled and smoked. My right side of my jaw is throbbing and gum is achy. My breath smells fine (cigarette smoke) and no bad taste in mouth (except from antibiotic and salt water). I have what looks like bruising in the back of my mouth where I was given 3 shots or maybe it was from one of the instruments but looks bruised. I've looked at pictures of dry socket and where I had tooth extracted does not look like the pictures. There is still blood in the site. It's making my upper teeth above it hurt too. My cheek is still puffy too. I am taking Motrin, Tylenol, and Aleve. I can sleep fine and the over counter meds take the edge off. Does this sound like dry socket? I only had a half this tooth when they cut it out so thinking maybe just a bad tooth and could have had some infection in it even though I was on antibiotics 3 weeks before I had tooth removed. The dentist who removed it did not talk to me after and I didn't even know he cut it out until his assistant told me. He was very fast so I am thinking he was not careful and why I am in so much pain. Please help!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - June - 2015, at 09:52 AM

• As the tooth has to be cut out and stitches had to be given, so it takes time for extraction socket to heal. It takes around 7-10 days for healing to take place especially after surgical tooth extraction. The symptoms does not indicate that you have dry socket but still you have to be careful. Maintain good oral hygiene and take your meds on time. Do warm saline rinses and follow all instructions given by your dentist. If the pain does not subside after 7-10 days and if it deteriorates then you have to visit a dentist. For more info on complications after tooth extraction, you can read this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation