I am super paranoid about getting dry socket. I had a root canal and crown on my very back top molar and then 3 years later I got an infection in the root and they said failed root canal. Since I didnt have the $1100 to redo it, I just had them pull it. That was Friday morning and now its Monday afternoon. The pain is essentially gone, just a dull ache easily masked with tylenol. I'm still scared to spit, suck through a straw, or have any sodas. Am I still at risk for dry socket or am I in the clear? Oh, I also had no stitches.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - July - 2013, at 21:15 PM

• Chances of having dry socket is maximum within 24 hours of tooth extraction as dry socket is there because of dislodgement of blood clot. After 24 hours, the clot is stabilised and chances of dry socket due to spitting or drinking with straw are not there. so you can relax about this part but still chances of secondary infection of extraction socket are always there till complete healing which may take from week to 10 days. so take all precautions given by your dentist like doing warm saline rinses and maintain good oral hygiene. for more info on complications after tooth extraction you can check this link in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation