I have had TMJ for about 15 years and was always able to still open my mouth fully, even though it clicked and popped. I had a molar pulled last Monday, which resulted in a massive infection in my cheek, and surgery to put a drain tube in. However, I still have a large lump on my jaw line and it is VERY difficult to open my mouth very far. Was this caused by the tooth extraction, and will I ever be able to fully open my mouth?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - July - 2012, at 00:11 AM

• Yes the tooth extraction lead to the worsening of your condition. I would advise you to apply warm compresses over the area. Also massage the temple region gently as many  times a day as possible. This will help you provide some relief. You should insert ice cream sticks inside the mouth and gradually keep on increasing one by one daily. This will increase the amount of mouth opening. 

And don't forget to inform your dentist regarding your condition. For more info visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation