I have a crack in the bottom left molar (last tooth on the end)I guess that is a Molar. I have hot and cold sensitivity as well as pressure sensitivity. I am told the best treatment is to try a temporary crown first. It was suggested that I go with a metal crown instead of a Porcelain crown. First why waste the money and pain on a temporary crown if I will probably end up with a root canal anyway? Second do I have to have a crown why not get the root canal get it filled with the white sediment and leave it at that?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - August - 2012, at 01:34 AM

•  

It seems that the crack might not be too large that's why doctors are thinking of giving a temporary crown. This way the want to see the healing time of the tooth. If the pain and sensitivity subsides after placement of a temporary crown then there will be no need for an RCT but if the pain continues then RCT will be advised.

Regarding having RCT without crown, it is generally advisable to get a crown after RCT as the RCT tooth becomes brittle and can't bear the masticatory forces. For more info on RCT visit the link....http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation