I just had a molar extraction on Thursday. There is now a bump on the gum where the molar was. It's pink, and soft. It doesn't really hurt unless poked at. However, I have a terrible headache, my jaw muscles feel tight, and my jaw (on that side of my mouth) cracks when I move it. Is this bump a regular healing sign? Is this an infection? (As extra information - I also had an impacted wisdom that was pressured by the molar. I did not have the wisdom removed - it's still there. Also, I'm a compulsive tooth grinder. Also, there is a second bump between where the molar was and the wisdom is on the gum that feels like a puss pocket). I've been rinsing with warm salt water, but, I'm not sure it's helping. Any help would be appreciated.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - October - 2012, at 02:30 AM

• If the bump is not incresing in size and is painful only on putting the pressure then there is nothing to worry.Bump can be because of irritation to tooth extraction socket. Forceful brushing can cause development of bump.You can continue with warm saline rinses for faster healing to take place. Complete healing of tooth extraction socket must not have taken place and traumatizing of extraction socket can lead to formation of bump. Keep the tooth extraction socket area clean but don’t overdo it that it causes any irritation.  You can do gentle brushing on that site. Bump will probably regress in 3-4 days. You can avoid eating from that side of tooth extraction socket and can take soft diet.If the bump doesn't regress in 3-4 days,visit tour dentist for a clinical evaluation. For more info on complications after tooth extraction, refer to…    http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation