A dental file broke off in one of my canals 10 years ago and just found out about a year ago. There is still an infection underneath the file and though I'm not feeling any pain, am I better off leaving it alone or have it surgically romoved? Can having an infection cause other health issues? Is there more of a chance of the tooth fracturing by leaving the dental file or removing it? I'm leaning towards having it surgically removed because it's been wearing on me mentally knowing that there is a foreign object left in my mouth. I look forward to hearing from someone. Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 06 - June - 2012, at 04:09 AM

•  

A broken file should not be left as it is though it may not cause any future problem. It can 

lead to further infection. So i would suggest you to immediately report it to the dentist 

and get the treatment done. but in your case the canals have been cleaned properly that is 

why it didn't caused any further problems but why to take a chance...it can be troublesome 

at any time....for more info on broken file visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/dental-broken-file-during-root-canal-treatment-931.aspx

Free Dental Consultation