My husband has had a broken tooth for over a year and because he doesn't have insurance and our money is tight he hasn't had it fixed. It recently started giving him more trouble and so he started taking amoxicillin about a week ago bc he was afraid it was abcessed. The pain worsened yesterday with slight swelling so we visited the ER but all they did was give Motrin and send us away. This morning when I woke him up his jaw was swollen to the size of a baseball and he is in EXTREME pain. I was able to locate a charity dentist but they won't be able to schedule the extraction until next week at the earliest. He has been asleep all day except for the times I woke him up and made him take his antibiotic and I gave him Bayer to help w pain and reduce his fever. I don't know how high his fever is bc we don't have a thermometer but he is hot to the touch and shivering like crazy even though it is 73 degrees in our house. I feel better knowing there is going to be something done soon but I also know that an abscessed tooth can even cause death so I am extremely worried about his condition in the meantime. Is there anything else I can do for him at this point? Thank you so much in advance, Worried sick, Lyndsey

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - September - 2013, at 20:20 PM

• The symptoms are due to abscessed tooth which are quite acute. You either take him to ER again or go to some charity clinic or some dental school. He has to get the tooth removed or get the abscess drained out. Anything cannot be done at home. 

Free Dental Consultation