Approaching 6 years ago, I consulted a cosmetic dentist about replacing two mismatched & crooked caps in the front of my mouth. He said I have a slight underbite, and that if he replaced the caps that are jutting forward with straight caps, they would run into my bottom teeth and cause damage. On his advice, I had braces placed on my lower teeth to slowly push them back and make room for the caps. I had to move a few months after having them placed, and I now question whether I needed them at all. I later met a former dentist who was also a dental school instructor who told me that in 10 years the shearing forces of eating, tongue movement, etc. would push my teeth forward again anyway, and only surgery would correct an adult underbite. Also, the rest of my teeth are straight and they aren't banging into my lower teeth, so why should my caps? This is a pertinent question for me now because it's been 5 1/2 years and I feel I need to get these braces off for oral health and comfort reasons, and I'm afraid that another ortho won't remove the braces if he feels they are medically necessary. These were placed for cosmetic reasons only, my bite is quite functional. Also, any advice as to how to get braces professionally removed with as little hassle as possible would also be appreciated. Thank you for your insights.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - December - 2013, at 20:06 PM

• That is true. The teeth can relapse. So before getting the braces removed, you have to go for retainers. You can go for fixed retainers which will be fixed inside your teeth and will not be  visible and this will prevent your teeth from pushing forward and with them it is easy to maintain oral hygiene also. Because if teeth replase is there then your crowns can cause problem. Rest you can schedule an appointment with your dentist as it is difficult to give exact diagnosis and treatment plan without clinical examination, xrays and history. for more info on braces you can browse the following link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-braces-21.aspx

Free Dental Consultation