I had a root canal done one week ago today. I had no pain or sensitivity prior, but the dentist said there was decay so I went ahead with it. After the drilling etc, a dental assistant prepared and did my crown. She used the gingival retraction cord. The dentist never checked her work after she placed the crown. The pain got worse & worse each day. after speaking to the dentist several times, he let me come in 5 days after the root canal. Large chunks of cement had been left in between my gums and the crown. They said there was a huge ulcer. He said I should feel better. Then, he said uh oh after the assistant said the suction just sucked up her dead gums. He explained that I now had bone exposure and I can feel a huge hole in my gums right at the old gum line. The dentist takes no responsibility for not supervising the assistant but the nc dental rules specify that he should have evaluated her work. I simply want answers....he said it is basically a "dry socket", but every dental website says you cannot get dry socket from a root canal. what do I do? It is painful and hard to ignore when my tongue automatically rests where the hole is. I feel like he is protecting himself more than giving the patient answers. I went from no pain to horrible pain for 7 days now. Vicodin helps a little, but every breathe hurts from the bone exposure.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - August - 2013, at 20:34 PM

• You are right that dry socket can not happen after root canal treatment as dry socket is becasue of dislodgment of clot which is formed in the extraction socket and after root canal treatment there is no extraction socket and clot formation takes place. The pain is there because of your gum problem. If you have pain and your dentist is not listening then  you can take second opinion. As far as treatment for this is, do warm saline rinses and maintain good oral hygiene and you can apply some gum paint on gums to make them healthy. But it is difficult to give diagnosis and treatment plan without clinical exam. for more info root canal treatment you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation