I went to the dentist (new patient) because I was experiencing cold sensitivity on the bottom left side (larger mid teeth I think my second molar). I also was having an issue with gum sticking to the top of an older filling on my right side (second molar) and it compacting between the two molars. The dentist took X-rays and told me that she said I must have very sensitive teeth because the cold sensitive molar had a small surface cavity forming, not one usually requiring a filling at that point. She stated that the old filling needed to be replaced on the right side. First visit she replaced the old porcelain with composite white. Once the pain killer wore off I had immediate pain when chewing and sudden cold sensitivity. I went back three days later and she put some kind of coating on it for the cold sensitivity. It helped a lithe but I still have bearable cold density and it still hurts to bite down. Thee pain feels like it is coming from the middle of the tooth straight down into my jaw. It has actually been getting progressively worse. (Been about a month now) When I went in to have my cavity filled on the left side, this was a new filling and went through the same process as the last. I once again had increase cold density ( unbearable) and pain when chewing (same as the right) I went back twice to have some kind of coating put on the filling. Each time I waited hours to eat or drink, and each time I ate something the coating cracked of in my mouth. I went back and she took the new filling out and filled it again. It is killing me. I can't eat tough or hard foods. Meat and raw veggies kill me and any ice drink is excruciating. I now dread eating. I would like to point out that I am 41 years old, floss and brush regularly and these are the only cavities in my mouth. The dentist stated that they are very small surface cavities. Now she is saying I need root canals on both teeth. What the hell? Is this normal?? I never have problems with my teeth. I left the office worse then I went in. I think the dentist is a nice person but I think she messed up or something and I feel I should get a second opinion. I have really nice white teeth. Proud of them. Only two cavities for my age and small at that. Never needed braces and I don't have gingivitis. Root canals?!? Please help.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - November - 2012, at 22:24 PM

• Lingering or prolonged sensitivity / awareness to hot or cold foods and pain on chewing after recent dental treatment indicates that dental work inflamed the pulp such that the tissue inside the tooth is beginning to degenerate.There are chances that your tooth is NOT going to repair the problem without intervention.Don't blame your dentist because it is most likely that you had a cavity near the pulp tissue prior to restoration.See your dentist or endodontist.There is a good chance that nonsurgical endodontic therapy or root canal (RCT) is going to need to be performed to maintain your tooth.If root canal treatment is not done, then infection will spread from tooth to the bone surrounding the tooth and can lead to pus formation in the tooth.

For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation