Ok, so if I've read one opinion on gargling with sea salt, I've read 20. Bottomline, is it ok to gargle 2-3 times a day with a sea salt water mix? I find it works remarkably well for keeping my gums healthy. For years, I've used Listerine, but find the sea salt so much more refreshing than alcohol based Listerine and, truly, my gums seems healthier for it. From your professional standpoint, are there any cautions one should exercise with a sea salt gargle? I do NOT brush with salt, however, as I've read that it can be abrasive/damaging to enamel...is that accurate? Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - April - 2012, at 23:24 PM

• As such there is no harm in doing sea salt gargles. Take precaution not to swallow it as it can dehydrate the cells causing negative impact on your health. Also if you are hypertensive than avoid doing it.

Try and maintain a proper ratio of salt to water like 1 tea spoon of sea salt to 8 ounce glass of water and stir the mixture for one minute. Gargle for at least 8-10 seconds before spitting out.

Brushing with salt doesn't damages enamel. Now a days, you can see salt as an ingredient in dental creams. Making a mixture of salt and baking soda will help removing stains...for more info on how to maintain proper dental hygiene visit our website...http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-health-98.aspx

Free Dental Consultation